allan juul wrote:
[...]
Use must use $r->set_content_length(). See the mp2 test suite for examples.

(i don't have that method available in my mod_perl2)

You sure do :)

% lookup set_content_length
To use method 'set_content_length' add:
        use Apache2::Response ();
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/api/Apache2/Response.html#C_set_content_length_

but about collecting data in a buffer variable. it seems i can actually $f->print that buffer, but not actually calculate the length of it. or rather: i can calculate the length but when i set any header the value is 0 (whether i set it before the $f->print statement or after).
it seems i must admit that i don't quite get what is going on and when.

can anyone supply a simple example i then can check on our reverse proxy ?

Try: t/response/TestApache/content_length_header.pm
Though I haven't tried to call it from the filter, so may be Jeff's suggestion will work.