From time to time, I see posts to this list like the one quoted below. The problem is that, unless you already know what the module being announced is, the message is of limited use.

If there was a short description telling me what Apache-AuthTicket does, I would be more likely to remember that it exists the next time I have a need for something like it. Instead, I'm given only the module's name. In order to find out what the module does, I would have to go to CPAN and look, which would get tedious rather quickly.

I suggest that all module announcers include a description of what their module does, in addition to a list of changes--even if it's a module that has been out for years and years. That way, we're more likely to get people using modules, instead of reinventing the wheel.

In the case of the post below, I get the feeling that it was generated automatically by CPAN when the author made an update. If so, then the part of CPAN that does this should probably be enhanced, as well.

The uploaded file

    Apache-AuthTicket-0.40.tar.gz

has entered CPAN as

  file: $CPAN/authors/id/M/MS/MSCHOUT/Apache-AuthTicket-0.40.tar.gz
  size: 20346 bytes
   md5: a1d0a5650b9deae181effb977c8d71a8

No action is required on your part
Request entered by: MSCHOUT (Michael Schout)
Request entered on: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 20:14:12 GMT
Request completed:  Mon, 06 Jun 2005 20:14:39 GMT

---------

Changes since 0.31:
   o update to use new Apache::Filter API (you need at least 1.012 now)
   o Create Apache2::AuthTicket from copy of Apache::AuthTicket and
     ported to mod_perl 2.0 API.  This is the first release that
     supports mod_perl2
   o MP2 - use SQL::Abstract to generate queries

--
Dan Wilga                                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web Administrator                             http://www.mtholyoke.edu