Jonathan Vanasco wrote:
> I'd like to use the 2+ server setup strategy:
>
> Vanilla Apache
>     bound to port 80
>     proxypass to mod_perl server on different ports
>
> I got that running on Linux using 2 sourcetrees as in the modperlbook
>
> I just got a new server with FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE on it, and am new to
> all the ports
>
> I *think* I can just do this:
>     install apache2/mp2 w/everything as a dso
>     make 2 configuration files:
>         1 just has mp2            (mp2)
>         1 has deflate + rewrite    (vanilla)
>     have the system start up 2 apaches, 1 using each config file
>
> Does that make sense?

Yes it does.

> It that an awful way to do it?

No, it's actually quite good, as you'll most likely benefit from
even more shared memory usages is the 2 different servers load some
of the same DSO modules (mod_mime for instance)

> It there a better way?

There is always a different way, but better will depend on what you
are trying to do.

> I've always installed mp2 as a dso - should i not?

It's perfectly fine to do so. As a warning, though, there are known issues
with mod_perl DSO and FreeBSD's default Perl configuration with usemymalloc
you might want to read about [1].

But all in all, you should be just fine.

1. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl&m=112187550627933&w=2