fetching/setting cookies
        fetching parameters (GET arguments or POST)
use APR::Request::*
Its faster as its in XS glue code.
simple HTML elements more complex HTML elements (forms, header/body)
shouldn't you be using templates :)

Though to implement the template engine, I use CGI.pm for
popup_menu() and the like.... Cleaner code, but more memory.

I was not aware that Apache2::* or APR::* had methods for generating HTML.

        print vs. $r->print
This is drastically faster.. especially if you use one print
per request at the end and/or pass a reference to the scalar string.

Also, the mp2 User's Guide (section 10.9.1) says
CGI.pm now takes $r as an argument to its new()
function. What benefit is this? Is it required?
For the most part its optional.
You may need to look at PerlGlobalRequest
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/config/config.html#C_GlobalRequest_