At 10:07 AM 8/6/2005, Tony Clayton wrote:
Quoting Thomas Klausner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hi!
>
> Is it possible and advisable to write the complex part of an
> application
> (the Controller, if you like) in mod_perl2 and use PHP as a frontend
> (or
> View) ?

It should be possible, perhaps by calling php from apache subrequests
in
the mod_perl code, but it won't be efficient, and doesn't sound very
pratical.
As an alternative, you might be able to use SOAP/RPC requests in the
PHP
code to offload the backend work to a mod_perl SOAP/RPC server.  Again,
not very efficient or practical.

I don't agree. Ok, sure there is some loss in performance(I choose XML-RPC because it is lightweight next to SOAP IMHO), but I did something very much like this for "social" reasons. Our bosses and many of our lower end people only know PHP. I had also to adopt to some affiliate system code that was and would likely forever be written in PHP. The solution was to use XML-RPC with PHP being the client and mod_perl/apache being the server. It is not that efficient in comparison to a pure mod_perl setup or even a pure PHP system for that matter. But it does end up being very scaleable because many PHP servers can be handled by one mod_perl backend. And it allows all of the presentation to be handled in PHP/Smarty by the people who know how to do that. While at the same time all of the code is in hopefully fairly clean oop Perl. :) It has turned out to be a great compromise for us.

The best technical answer is not always the best answer.

Thanks,

Eric

Lead Programmer
D.M. Contact Management