On 18 Aug 2005, at 18:18, Jonathan Vanasco wrote:

Instead of connecting to the DB and having DBI cache the handle after-the-fork, would it make sense to subclass Apache::DBI, have the parent process create a defined number of connections, and then use some sort of roundrobin/checkout to sign out a handle during a request?

You're asking "why?" and i'm responding that i dont really know

i just remembered that i'll likely have to up my connection limit to my db based on the number of apache children

No, don't do that. Front-end your fat apache with squid or a thin apache and MaxClients-limit the backend. Keeps concurrency issues on the backend server
to  a minimum too. It's all in the guide.