On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 17:23 +1000, Badai Aqrandista wrote:
> How do I maintain the size of the shared memory between apache children?
> What cause a memory page to be copied (not shared) from perl's point of
> view?

Anything that writes to memory -- modifying any variable (even just
reading one in a different context) or compiling some code are the most
common things.  There's a bit more here:
http://modperlbook.com/html/ch10_01.html

Oh my, I should've kept memory consumption in mind when designing the code in the first place.

Anyway, to fix this, I'm trying to make my onw shared memory with Apache::SharedMem. But it seems that shared memory is just a memory area that any process can read from or write to, not a memory that can become part of any process's memory space.

I'd like to put the read only data in a memory area that can become part of any process's memory space, like threads sharing memory space. Is there any way I can do that? How about mmap? I have never looked into that.

Does this sound like fixing the wrong problem?

Thank you...

---
Badai Aqrandista
Cheepy (?)