On 13 Nov 2005, at 23:46, Brett Randall wrote:
Does anyone else have any ideas as to how I can utilise persistent database connections to a MySQL server via DBI, in order to speed up web queries, but without the 20 or so connections per virtual server that sit there waiting for something to happen? Should I be doing this differently?

I totally agree with the other posts - and this isn't a solution so much as a work around...

Put all your virtual hosts in one database, just start the table names differently

so instead of <virtual_db>.tablename have application_db.<virtual>_tablename

This way apache only have to connect to one database.

There may be all sorts of reasons you don't want to do this - and from a design point of view
it's a bit messy - but it would solve your issue.

Leo