I guess I'm still considered a mod_perl / perl newbie. I started learning perl 6 months ago in anticipation of translating a CMS (Content Management System) I wrote in PHP.

I considered Python, and C++ as alternatives. C++ was over kill and would require way too much development just to get going (why reinvent the wheel if I don't have to.) Python, seemed too similar to PHP for my tastes. I don't like being "forced" to use someone else's coding conventions unless I know there are valid reasons for it. With what I read about Python's white space issues, I thought it might be more
tedious, rather than easier to maintain my 50+ files of code.

Once I started looking into perl I was blown away. Not only has perl been the "swiss army knife" of system administration for well over 10 years, but mod_perl blows the
socks off of php.

So for my particular project I couldn't find a better solution.

I think the hardest part about learning perl (coming from developing in
php for 5 years) was the odd mix of syntax. It's a mixture of a couple of
languages.  Because I was new to unix and shell syntax it was a bit of
time before I started to feel comfortable. Considering 70% of the internet
is run off of *nix flavored servers it's not a bad skill to have.

The benefits of having moved to perl from php are too many to count.
Just the efficiency of perl's string manipulation cut my code down by
up-to 50% in some cases.  Perls abilities to be used both procedurally
as well Object Oriented makes it easy for me to use it which ever way
is most useful for my task.

Moving from PHP to Perl has been the smartest move I've made.  Our
code is more secure (we use a proxy system to keep it completely separate from our client's file server.) Our system is more stable and responsive.
And my code is 100% easier to maintain.

Although I could have used Python or even stuck with PHP and accomplished most of what I'm doing, it would take more time, and wouldn't be nearly as much fun. In my situation (building a CMS without funding, etc.) I don't think I would have made it this far without being inspired as I was by perl, mod_perl and
all that they can do.

Did I mention CPAN?

My hat is off to the Perl/mod_perl community for giving such an opportunity.
When in history has it been so bright?

Boysenberry

boysenberrys.com | habitatlife.com | selfgnosis.com