I've been writing in perl for just over a year.  I was
a developer in embedded controls, but had an idea for
a website and some free time so started learning perl.
 I had a strong C++ background so understood OO pretty
well.  I chose Perl because I had heard so much about
it.  My first site was pure scripting, all code & html
in one file.  It was such a mess but a great learning
experience.

After switching jobs, I had the opportunity to take a
"java for the web" class and learned the MVC way.  I
was eager to apply this to my web project, however it
took me quite a while to figure out how to write OO
with Perl.  In fact, I really struggled for several
weeks.  I looked around on the web for a while, tried
to study the modperl apache site's examples, but just
couldn't derive a good code example; I understood OO,
I knew that perl could do OO and I couldn't find
design patterns to go to the next step.  It wasn't
until I happened to run across "Learning Perl Objects,
References, and Modules", by Randal L. Schwartz that I
started to develop a web pattern for implementing MVC
with perl.  If it wasn't for that book, I probably
would have given up.  Even with that, it took me a
while to figure out how to write good constructors.  I
looked plenty, but I just couldn't seem to find the
right info on the web.

Taking a step back, after that java class, I
considered Java struts.  I like much of the language
syntax, such as the "." vs "->" notation.  However,
the prospect of setting up Tomcat on top of learning
Apache by myself seemed daunting.  In addition, Java
Struts seems overkill for most applications.

5 months ago, I changed jobs again and now work in a
PHP only shop.  What I miss from Perl with PHP is how
broad the language is.  There seem to be no limits to
Perl. The syntax is easy and extensive. I can do unix
tasks and web task.  And there are so many reliable
modules available via  CPAN.  PHP has pear, but its
not nearly as extensive.  The other thing I miss about
perl when programming in PHP is the arrays.  In PHP,
there are associative arrays; I uses complex sets of
anonymous hashes and arrays all the time in perl, but
it's harder to do the same thing in PHP. And I find
dereferencing harder too.  And of course, perl regex
is 100x better than PHP's limit string matching and
grepping.

What I like about PHP over perl is the ease of
variable declaration.  I feel I have to use strict
with perl, I would like the ability to not have to put
"my" in front of every new variable.  Probably 1/4 of
my errors when debugging pages for the first time are
undeclared variables.  Seems  stupid and I try to be
thorough, but it still happens and it's a nuisance.
My biggest complaint for perl for web apps, however,
is the templating.  I haven't found a template module
in perl that rivals Smarty templates in PHP.  What's
with this crazy loop structure in HTML Templates?  Why
can't I just iterate over an array without having to
put it in a crazy anonymous array thing.  I can access
any array element with ".".  Smarty plugin's are
great.  They help with creating select drop downs,
date drop downs.  I can capitalize, count, strip
template variables within smarty.  There seems to be
so much more I can do with Smarty than with
HTML::Template.  Maybe I just missed all that stuff in
the documentation but again, I didn't find it.  Also,
it's much easier to include a code snippet in php than
in perl.

Today, Perl is still my personal favorite language to
code for web/unix task.  However at work, I am
implementing MVC in PHP 4 much like I did with Perl
using the basic OO capabilities available in 4.
Interface functions don't help in the web apps I do
(small - medium) so I don't see to much need for us to
move to 5.  But that's another topic.

That's my experience so far with perl vs PHP vs Java
so far.

greanie

--- Boysenberry Payne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>