Well, I'm a newbie that has [and has used] a pink copy of the Camel book 1.
I choose perl _BECAUSE_ it was antiquated then; awk, sed and perl had stood the test of time.

Community? Perl was built by those with need for those with need;  I hear a corporation "owns" Java... and as for the creater of .NET, I like to think I own my [car, telephone, computer] .

1 Admittedly, my 2nd ed. has more wear...