if you
        use strict ;
        use warnings;

any module that you load w/an uninitialized variable will print an error

what i do is as follows:

        use warnings & strict in $APP_DIR/etc/startup.pl
        include all my modules in $APP_DIR/etc/startup.pl

        tail -f $APP_DIR/logs/error.log

        sudo /usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl restart

that will try and include all the modules i listed in startup.pl

if there's an uninitialized value, apache won't start up, and it will tell me the line.
i fix that, and try to start apache again

if you preload, you don't have to run through the pages - but it will crash on the first variable