hey,

I only saw the problem under SLES9 meaning 2.6.x kernels, but I think it is a but in the glibc ( have to lookup the version... ), so you might also see it with 2.4.x kernels.

It you look at your system with strace when it hangs, you will see the following:

- there will be one process / thread in a select system call answering new connections
- all other threads will be blocked in a futex() syscall

For MySQL you have 2 options to resolve this:
- use a MySQL binary ( or recompile ) without pthread support
- disable pthreads by setting LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.9 or renaming /lib/tls to s.th. different

For Apache I only know about disabling pthreads as a solution.

cheers

Andreas

Todd W schrieb:

"Andreas Nolte" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
.. just curious:

are you running on a Linux box with 2.6.x kernel ? If yes, then you
might have the trouble we had with apache AND mysql and pthreads.

Solution: just move /lib/tls to s.th. like /lib/tls.save and restart
mysql and apache -> solved.

If anyone likes, I can give more input.

Im running linux, but it appears the kernel is 2.4:

$ uname -r
2.4.30-grsec

Thanks for the tip, though!

trwww