Thanks guys - this is helpful.

In reality, and running the ways things are, I already need to restart (or ::Reload) to introduce changes (moved to that paradigm last year) -- but I guess that beyond the efficiencies you point out here in using proper API (for handler, print, etc) and the rationale here, I'm trying to prioritize and scope my next effort if any, (for this project, at least), and then best approach the next project. Basically, I have packages that print headers for everything, and others that "print $foo;exit;" for everything.  Ideally, I'll alter each of those to do it right, and get better mileage. And from there, I'll work on creating proper mod_perl handlers.

Cheers,

On 3/27/06, Frank Wiles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 14:08:38 +0100
"Carl Johnstone" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The next step from there is not using Apache::Registry at all, but
> putting mod_perl handlers into their own modules/packages. However
> there's more of a change here to other ways of working - for example
> you need to restart server to introduce code changes.

  Overall great advice in this thread, but I wanted to point out
  that with Apache2::Reload this isn't strictly the case.  You can
  set it to reload certain modules or all without a server restart,
  however I personally wouldn't use it in production as there is very
  little benefit.

   Frank Wiles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   http://www.wiles.org