Thank you all very much.  As mentioned, this isn't a mod_perl issue.

That NLS_ variable sounded familiar.  I looked in my httpd.conf and found this:
PerlSetEnv NLS_LANG american_america.we8iso8859p1

Which controls (among many other things) the default date format.
I've moved that line out of the httpd.conf and into my DB connect
module and now I get consistant results from scripts and mod_perl
apps.

Thanks!
Jay