On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 20:27:02 +0200
Clinton Gormley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-08-29 at 15:20 -0300, Adriano Ferreira wrote:
> > Hi, mod_perl people.
> >
> > I am preparing a presentation about technologies which make Perl
> > more visible. In this vein, I would like to say a few words about
> > mod_perl. But I am short of knowledge on this subject and need to
> > understand some things about it, to sound convivincing. Then I dare
> > to bother the list with some questions. I will be very grateful by
> > your answers, even if they are "Dull question. Read this and read
> > that, add two and two, make four and bug me not."
> >
> > Q: how does mod_perl compares to PHP? Both are interpreters inside
> > the Apache web server, ain't it? I am interested in all shades of
> > distinction and similarity here: performance, cost, safety,
> > marketing, etc.
> >

> http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials/article.php/1126681
> http://perlmonks.org/?node_id=18661

   Both of those articles are from 2000 and I'm sure a bunch of things
   have changed since then. :)

   Based on what I've read recently performance is comparable. They
   are both free so I'm not sure what you mean by cost.

   Personally, I avoid many applications written in PHP due to their
   past security histories.  I know this is a broad generalization, but
   I do tend to look over a PHP application much more closely than
   applications written in other languages.  It isn't so much the
   language itself, but the programmers PHP tends to attract I
   would wager.

   Apart from being entirely different languages, the biggest difference
   is that PHP is only useful in the response phase of the Apache cycle,
   where mod_perl can be used to actually configure and completely
   control the Apache webserver from Perl.

   With the added ability of protocol handlers, you can even implement
   other non-HTTP protocols.

   Frank Wiles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   http://www.wiles.org