On Wed, 6 Sep 2006 18:26:46 -0400
Jonathan Vanasco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sep 6, 2006, at 6:01 PM, Frank Wiles wrote:
>
> >    It didn't disappear, and it isn't "shared" like the type of
> > sharing we talk about with mod_perl/Apache. It's not CoW sharing.
> I know.
>
> >    The shared memory you're talking about here is held by the
> > postmaster
> >    daemon and is used to store frequently requested data to be used
> > by the forked children via SysV IPC.
>
> Yes. I know that.  pg_stop is the stopping of the postmaster daemon
> -- not clients ( apache stop will kill the pids of the clients ).
>
> >    And yeah, PostgreSQL cleans up it's shared memory when it exits
> > like it should.
>
> No, its not.  thats the point of my post.

   Sorry I guess I misunderstood what you were saying.

> On my system, shared memory that was allocated to postgres is not
> being returned.  postgres's exit releases the lock on memory-- ipcs
> shows nothing allocated.  but the kernel never gains any of that
> shared mem.  i only see about the size of the resident memory of the
> postmaster instance and the clients returned.
>
> I'm inclined to think this 'leak' is in postgres and not in
> Apache/MP/ DBI, because it happens to pg via the command line
>
> the long running process where i found this behavior started off at
> about 850mb of free memory.  earlier today my machine was down to
> 241mb free- a stop/wait/start of apache brought me to 317 and a
> restart of  pg  brought me to 321.  thats about 500mb vanished.
>
> then i remembered this post, started poking around ,  and saw memory
> disappear and never made available in proportion to the pg vsize
> ( the clients themselves are nothing).

   Is that 500MB that "vanished" in used, buffers, or cached?  Just
   because it isn't listed in "free" doesn't mean it isn't "free" from
   a "Available memory I can use" standpoint.  For example, your system
   will reclaim memory from cached and buffers when it runs out of
   "free".

   Frank Wiles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   http://www.wiles.org