I'm running Gentoo on my devel box and I refuse to use portage for modperl and apache. Most perl stuff isnt updated often enough (dunno what the current mp2 version in portage is though) and the apache branch is all tweaked and had more config layout changes than Pamela Anderson had boobjobs.
I've since relied on manual compiles of apache, mp2 and libapreq.

Gentoo rocks for the rest, but I'd never use it in a prod environment as you don't really want to compile a new kernel on it when another update has been put out. (Unless you use precompiled packages).

Freebsd, I dunno, last time I touched it was about a decade ago ;)

Hope this helps ;)

Enno

Matias Alejo Garcia wrote:
Hi all!

I am installing a new web server. I will serve a site developed using Apache 2 / Mod_perl2 / MySQL 5.

Would you recommend Linux (Gentoo, kernel 2.6) or FreeBSD?

It will be a production server. The server hardware is Opteron 165 (Dual core), 2GB RAM.

What are the advantages of using FreeBSD?

Thanks!

--
matías