On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 13:03:55 +0300
"Greger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Is there anything in particular that one should take into account
> regarding modperl and design patterns vs trad CGI-scripting?
>
> As for now, I return XML from the package methods, and use XSLT for
> the transformation to XHTML. This works very well, seems flexible,
> but are there better ways?
>
> I guess it all depends on what one is doing, naturally. In this case
> it is an application using the mysql database.

  There are a bunch of people who do this, from Perl CGIs, mod_perl,
  and even with other languages/frameworks/etc.

  It's a perfectly reasonable way of doing things, but does cause you to
  do a bunch of extra processing.  Putting your data into XML, and then
  transforming it into XHTML with XSLT.

  What I typically recommend to people is that they use a template
  engine like Template-Toolkit.org.  You simply pass it a Perl data
  structure and then you have all of the same transformation
  possibilities as XSLT ( at least as I understand it ).  And if you
  ever need the data as XML, you simply create a template for
  that ( or pass a special option to your handlers to return XML,
  etc. ).

  There are tons of different ways to do it.  What I would look for is
  to optimize for the "general case" of "I need to deliver XHTML" and
  worry about "I might need this as XML at a later date" for that later
  date. :)

   Frank Wiles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   http://www.wiles.org