I wouldn't really call this a modperl question but regardless...

Chris Schults wrote:
It appears that the "+" is getting stripped out at some point as the
script is returning results for "water pollution" instead of
"water+pollution". Is it possible that Apache is the culprit or should
we be looking more closely at our script or rewrite rule?
I'd suggest looking more closely at the HTTP specs... + represents a space in a URL so your program will be fed a space by CGI - probably nothing to do with the rewrite.

To sign up for Grist by email, the world's top environmental news served
up with a sense of humor, click here <http://www.grist.org/signup/> or
send a blank email message to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To sign up for mod_perl, the world's top web applications platform served with tongue firmly in cheek, ...

John