On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 14:06 -0800, Tracy12 wrote:
> If this is the case, How can we preserve the REMOTE_USER value and
> forward/redirect to the other application
> ( running on same Apache Server) which is based on the REMOTE_USER
> environment variable, which is set in my perl module in the first
> application.
>

> I was under the impression $ENV{'REMOTE_USER') variable can be used for such
> purposes.

It sounds like you're not clear on what HTTP basic authentication does.
A good starting point is the authentication docs on the apache website:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/auth.html

In short, the server sends a 401 response, the client sends the username
and password, and that happens on every single request in the realm that
requires authentication.  The REMOTE_USER is just an internal thing to
see what the auth handler set it to.  It's usually the username the
client sent.

If you're not trying to do authentication and are just looking for a way
to preserve some data between requests, you need to pass it in cookies,
or URLs, or hidden form fields.

- Perrin