Fred Moyer wrote:
>> Issac Goldstand wrote:
>> I personally never liked using CGI with mod_perl; if I'm going through
>> the trouble of writing optimized handlers to make my application that
>> much faster, why use a pure-perl solution that needs to do full parsing
>> in perl-land, when a lighter-weight C-based alternative is available
>> that takes full advantage of Apache's internal I/O handling inside the
>> server already?
>>
>> So it's a bit of a learning curve.  So what?  You learned mod_perl's ins
>> and outs already - libapreq is significantly easier to grasp IMHO.
>
> I agree it's much more powerful, and it is my power tool of choice :) In
> the original context of the question though, the poster was asking how
> to grab the the query string arguments.  In that situation where someone
> is not familiar with the basic operations of request parameter handling,
> I would recommend CGI because it's a lot easier to get the desired
> result quickly, which I think is important for someone learning
> modperl.  CGI is installed on most systems, and while that extra speed
> from libapreq is nice, I've seen the libapreq install trip up beginners
> (and a few experts from time to time, including myself!).

When libapreq2 was being developed, we realized that the learning curve
for the new interfaces (APR::Request::xxx) might be tricky for some
people to get the hang of (especially if they were used to the old
libapreq1 way of doing things), so Apache2::Request was added to make
things simple and as backwards-compatible as possible.  How would you
envision it being simpler than it currently is?

Instead of doing:
my $q=CGI->new;
my $param=$q->param('foo');

One needs to do:
my $req=Apache2::Request->new($r);
my $param=$req->param('foo');

I still fail to see the difficulty...  If someone can think of an even
simpler way, I'd be all for getting it included in future libapreq
releases...

  Issac