On Mar 26, 2007, at 12:25 PM, Perrin Harkins wrote:

That's easy to say in this specific case, since the actual threat is
so tiny that it didn't make much difference.  You guys probably
wouldn't think it was such a good idea if it had been a more serious
exploit and someone had used it to compromise your servers before a
fix was available.

Keep in mind -- in this specific case the discussion was such ( the first 3 emails ):

        From:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Date:   March 22, 2007 11:57:41 AM EDT
        Subject:        [mp1] PerlRun fails if path_info contains special
symbols

        From:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Date:   March 22, 2007 11:04:37 PM EDT
symbols

        From:     merlyn@stonehenge.com
        Date:   March 22, 2007 11:20:48 PM EDT
Subject: MP1 Security issue (was Re: [mp1] PerlRun fails if path_info contains special symbols)

It's not the case that Randal found an exploit and said "Hey developers ! there's a security breach I found" -- which a lot of these postings insinuate.

Alex found the issue, and reported it as a bug.
Perrin asked, 'do you think you can patch it?'
Randal replied "wait - this isn't a bug, its a security issue. this needs faster attention"

Randal didn't raise an report an new security threat -- he re- categorized an active bug discussion as a security threat.

People have commented "This isn't the proper way to report a security threat." Well, right now ModPerl doesn't have a published protocol for dealing with security threats.

In fact, there's no security policy *at all* on the mod perl website. There also aren't any listings or contact addresses for project maintainers -- the closest thing available is a current + historical intermingled list of people who have contributed. All the "Repot a bug" information make it very clear that everything should be posted to the mailing list for discussion, and there is no mention of "if you believe this could have security implications, please do not post it publicly".

That said, I think the suggestion to email "info , support , security" as a first step is ridiculous -- they're not addresses universally used across projects , and shouldn't be expected to work as such. There's about as much rationale to crossing your fingers and hoping someone sees those messages as writing to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" .

I suggest the core developers devise some protocol + notification scheme / contact addresses they feel comfortable with, and publish it on these pages:

        Reporting bugs
                http://perl.apache.org/bugs/index.html

http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/help.html#How_to_Report_Problems

http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/help/help.html#Reporting_Problems

        Getting Help
                http://perl.apache.org/help/index.html

It could be as simple as:

"If you think you have found a security threat, please email _______ and give us 7 days to respond and work out a disclosure scheme with you."

We're all fortunate that this discussion happened around a trivial threat in a largely insignificant/unused feature -- but there should be a system or directions in place for the unlikely event that someone else finds a serious bug and follows every piece of information on the website that says "just post it to the mailing list".

// Jonathan Vanasco