On Jun 21, 2007, at 5:36 PM, Frank Wiles wrote:

  Off the top of my head? So you can centralize your SMTP
  onto on system if you have multiple servers in the mix. But
  that's what MIME::Lite and friends do if you don't specifically
  tell it to use a remote system.

ok. relaying to a local server for actual delivery makes a lot of sense.

  Yeah I've seen some neat twisted stuff, POE might be a reasonable
  alternative in the Perl space.

POE is pretty neat.  I haven't played with it much, but i liked it.

I've done a lot of twisted stuff in the past , so its very natural to me. I brought it up over POE though , because it ships with an smtp server built in - you really just need to customize the callbacks, and you're good to go.

if you get a chance to flip through the twisted o'reilly book at a bookstore, i recommend checking it out. programming an occasional python app really keeps my perl coding style in check.