On Tue, 2007-07-03 at 10:26 -0400, Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On 7/3/07, Clinton Gormley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > 1) In the DB, store the name of the server to which your file has been
> >    uploaded
>
> I try to avoid files in the DB.  It always ends in tears.

Sorry - I meant, store this in the DB:
 - ID:          1234
 - type:        image/jpeg
 - path:        12/34/1234.jpg
 - server:      images1.domain.com

So that your program would construct a URL pointing to the correct
server, or a translation layer would forward the request to the correct
server

> > 2) Store your upload in a shared partition (eg on a SAN, NFS,
> >    iSCSI/OCFS2)
>
> That's ok if you need them on every server.  Many applications just
> upload a file and process it on one server, so they don't need this.

Sure - I was thinking primarily of image hosting.

thanks

Clint