I handle files with a db pointer.
Works really good for me.  I house all of the files
on a "static" server and put pointers in the DB.
Then I just update the DB with new pointers or remove
pointers as needed.
When looking up a file I request the DB file pointer
then use that info to grab it from the static server.
Works like a charm.

-bop