Colin Wetherbee wrote:
At the moment (and not in a production environment), every time the drop-down list is generated for a web page, the script queries the database to retrieve the entire list of aircraft. I would prefer to retrieve the list of aircraft when each Perl interpreter starts and then not retrieve it again until the administrator sends a signal. For this particular table, the signal would only occur when new aircraft hit the market, like the Boeing 787 will (hopefully) in December of this year.

The most UNIX-ish way to do this, I guess, would be to send SIGHUP to each running perl process, causing it to reload its configuration, update its stored lists, and so forth. I'd rather do this in a more Perl-ish or Apache-ish way, though, and I'd also rather be specific about which list it should update.

Wouldn't a simpler approach be to just restart Apache when you want to update the lists? You could even have the 'add to list' function send SIGUSR1 to the parent Apache, causing a graceful restart.

Having said that, if running 20 DB queries returning a few hundred records is causing you a speed problem, are you sure the DB is running efficiently? Is this a very high traffic site? Is there a requirement for ultra-fast page generation? I've got pages that make dozens and dozens of DB queries returning hundreds of records and do lots of post-processing, and I can generate pages in under a second much of the time.

cheers
John