Alx G wrote:

> I'm trying to use Apache::DProf with my Perl web app. I can't work out
> what I'm doing wrong - it should be working but it isn't (how many times
> have we all said that to ourselves eh?).
>
> I've run out of options to try now, I hope someone can help me please.
>
> ... <snip> ...
>
> I tried with and without the commented stuff - as was suggested in this
> thread.
>
> Apache is running in prefork, *not* worker mode (which was also pointed to
> as a possible culprit)
>
> /usr/sbin/httpd -V :
> Server MPM:     Prefork
>     threaded:     no
>         forked:     yes (variable process count)
>
> The tmon.out files *are*being created, by the apache user, but they don't
> contain any useful info. I've also tried running apache using the -X
> command to spawn no child processes.
>
> I then hit a few different scripts in the browser and the most I ever see
> in those files, when shutting down apache is a reference to APR::Pool
> DESTROY and the usual stuff at the top, *but no other subroutine calls at
> all*.

Sincere thanks to everyone who has offered advice and suggestions, I've
still not quite managed to get it working - I feel like there's probably
something really obvious staring me in the face.

As a last ditch effort I thought I'd post an abridged version of my current
apache config in the hope that someone spots something crazy.

---
ServerTokens OS
ServerRoot "/etc/httpd"
PidFile run/httpd.pid
Timeout 120
KeepAlive Off
MaxKeepAliveRequests 100
KeepAliveTimeout 15

<IfModule prefork.c>
StartServers       8
MinSpareServers    5
MaxSpareServers   20
ServerLimit      256
MaxClients       256
MaxRequestsPerChild  4000
</IfModule>

Listen 80

... load various modules ...

<Perl>
    require Apache::DB;
    Apache::DB->init;
</Perl>

PerlModule Apache::DProf

Listen 8001
<VirtualHost "*:8001">
        DocumentRoot "/usr/local/myapp/htdocs"
        ErrorDocument 404 /cgi-bin/404handler.pl
        ErrorLog logs/myapp_error_log
        CustomLog logs/myapp_access_log combined
        PerlOptions +Parent
        PerlSwitches -I/usr/local/myapp/lib
</VirtualHost>

<Directory "/usr/local/myapp/htdocs">
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
</Directory>

<Directory /usr/local/myapp/htdocs/cgi-bin>
   <FilesMatch "\.pl$">
      SetEnv SYBASE /usr
      SetHandler perl-script
      PerlHandler ModPerl::PerlRun
#      PerlHandler ModPerl::RegistryPrefork # tried this also, no change
#      PerlFixupHandler Apache::DB # tried this, just filled up my error log
with very low-level mod_perl calls, page didn't load, nothing in tmon.out
(pages work fine without it)
      PerlOptions +ParseHeaders
      Options +ExecCGI
   </FilesMatch>
</Directory>

PerlModule Apache2::Reload
PerlInitHandler Apache2::Reload

... more misc config stuff ...
---

And this is the most I ever see in tmon.out:

---
#fOrTyTwO
$hz=100;
$XS_VERSION='DProf 20050603.00';
# All values are given in HZ
$over_utime=5; $over_stime=2; $over_rtime=17;
$over_tests=10000;
$rrun_utime=86; $rrun_stime=111; $rrun_rtime=2971;
$total_marks=2

PART2
@ 0 0 1
& 2 APR::Pool DESTROY