Gaetan:

On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 10:51 +0100, titetluc titetluc wrote:
> Hello all Apache mod_perl2 module experts (I am a newbie with Apache),
>
> Hope I am clear in my explanations (my English is not so good and I
> had a lot of problems explaining my needs by mail. I am not sure that
> everybody will read entirely this mail ;-)))))))
>
> The direct question:
> Is it possible to:
>    . use the mod_auth_basic module (or mod_auth_digest or
> mod_auth_ntlm) to authenticate a client for the first request,
>    . then create a session tracking module (based on cookies) for the
> next requests (I would write this last module in Perl)

The cookie needs to be setup upon authentication, so you have to use an
authentication module other than the basic authentication, which does
not set up a cookie.

> The indirect question (good luck ;))
>
> I am currently working on a project to develop a server hosting HTTP
> applications developed with different technologies and I am in charge
> of the session management (authentication along with SSO) for the
> HTTP-based applications.
> Applications are developed in
>      . PHP
>      . Servlet
> I can not modify these applications (in term of authentication)
>
> My objective is to "offer" SSO, meaning that the end-user will be
> asked authentication only once, when accessing PHP or servlet
> (backend).
> The idea: an Apache module will simulate an HTTP client against the
> PHP or the servlet by sending basic authentication to PHP/servlet (ok,
> I simplify the problem, because the PHP or servlet container could
> require another authentication mechanism)
>
> Apache would act as a front-end and would
>     . manage authentication against the client
>     . manage session tracking with cookies
>     . simulate the client authentication against the application
> (servlet or PHP) by sending basic authentication to the servlet or PHP
> applications (or any other mechanism, depending on the application
> authentication mechanism)

Take a look at the AuthCookie and AuthTicket modules, they can be used
to easily build a solution like the one you are indicating.

Regards,
Rafael Caceres