On 15 Apr 2008, at 13:51, Mark Blackman wrote:

While I did find Torsten Förtsch's very useful Perl::AfterFork module, surely the
mod_perl code must be doing something like this itself, no?

I'd be grateful to understand mod_perl's response to Perl's
pid caching is, given that forking *will* happen in the mod_perl
environment.

Ok, more investigation suggests we're seeing an ordering problem.

mod_perl (2.0.3) does reinitialize $$ in

modperl_hook_child_init  in mod_perl.c by calling

void modperl_perl_init_ids_server(server_rec *s) in modperl_perl.c

However, judicious sprinkling of printf statements suggests
very strongly that the above code gets called *AFTER* the
handler specified in PerlChildInitHandler.

Would anyone are to comment why the code above
would be done AFTER?

The routine names suggest that modperl_hook_child_init()
would get called before a PerlChildInitHandler to me, but
my logging suggests otherwise.

- Mark

- Mark