On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 8:46 PM, James Austin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 1) Requires a new http server for each additional site/modperl application
> 2) Apache creates a set of workers for each instance (ususally about 7).
> With 7 required for the Top level proxy, and 7 for each site, this soon adds
> up.

That's entirely under your control.  You can start as few or as many
as you like, and vary the settings by site if you choose to.  You
would want about 20 times as many front-end server processes as
backend ones to start with.

> A new solution I have been working on is to have a single Apache server with
> chrooting suexec and speedycgi.

SpeedyCGI's only advantage over FastCGI was that it could be installed
and used by a non-privileged user on a shared host without any direct
support from the hosting provider.  At this point, it's been a dormant
project for ages.  I think you'd better try FastCGI instead.

However, I don't really see any advantage to FastCGI over the mod_perl
setup you suggested.

- Perrin