----- Original Message ----- 2:49 PM, David E. Wheeler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
To a certain degree, Apache/mod_perl is a victim of the success of HTTP.
It's fairly easy to implement a new HTTP server, so there are a lot of them, and many are easy to use and extremely fast. If all you're interested in is
serving a Rails or Catalyst app, Apache/mod_perl starts to seem like much
too big a beast.

I've said this before, but I think this is not a very rational claim.
Network servers are actually pretty hard to get right and HTTP is no
longer very simple.  More to the point, there's nothing "heavy" about
apache/mod_perl compared to other web servers + FastCGI.  An
event-based server like Lighttpd will have better performance than
Apache 2's worker MPM (the recommended choice for front-end proxies)
on static files, but who has a bottleneck on static files these days?

I prefer to use mod_perl, but this especially because it works under both Linux and Windows and I need to develop the apps under Windows before using them under Linux.

However, I've seen that many Catalyst developers prefer to use fastcgi and not mod_perl, because when using fastcgi, the applications can be restarted without restarting the whole web server.
Too bad that fastcgi is harder to install than mod_perl or fcgid...

From the perspective of the number of users, mod_perl is usually used by
those who have root access and it is not used for shared hosting. Of course the number of users is not big, but the importance of those users is bigger.

Octavian