Perrin Harkins wrote:

It's the same with mod_perl: you can restart your backend server
without touching the frontend proxy server.  It's possible that some
FastCGI implementations have a truly seamless way to do this though,
holding requests while the backend restarts.  I haven't played with it
enough to know.

- Perrin
I'd really love to see a best practices kind of document, or at least a more detailed document that described getting the light front / heavy backend stuff working. The mp1 guide has a pretty extensive section on the various options, but it hasn't been updated to reflect apache2/mp2. It also doesn't address any of the little hoops that need to be jumped through to get all the ancillary, but important, bits working. Things like getting backend server authentication info logged on the front end server, getting the front end remote_ip to the backend server, how to manage configs between the front and back end. I'm sure there's other stuff that I'm missing. It'd actually be nice just to see a list of 'things you might not have thought about' that go along with that configuration model.

I suppose that arguably this is beyond the scope of mod_perl, but if we're constantly going to trot out the idea that you should be running in this kind of configuration, we should probably do everything we can to make deploying that configuration as painless as possible.

Adam