Torsten Foertsch schrieb:
On Mon 19 Jan 2009, Adam Prime wrote:
I thought you could build more than one and load the one you want
at runtime.  Isn't that what Red Hat does?
If redhat's shipping more than one mpm, they've patched httpd.

Probably not httpd. At least Suse has not. Instead they configure and
build a prefork httpd and a worker httpd one by one and then merge the
result.

The same thing can be observed on Debian. There are a couple of MPMs to
select from - and they're (more or less) mutually exclusive.

r...@colinux:~ # apt-cache search -n apache2-mpm-
apache2-mpm-event - Event driven model for Apache HTTPD 2.1
apache2-mpm-itk - multiuser MPM for Apache 2.2
apache2-mpm-perchild - Transitional package - please remove
apache2-mpm-prefork - Traditional model for Apache HTTPD 2.1
apache2-mpm-worker - High speed threaded model for Apache HTTPD 2.1

r...@colinux:~ # apt-cache search -f -n apache2-mpm- | grep -i conflict
Conflicts: apache2-mpm-worker, apache2-mpm-perchild, apache2-common
Conflicts: apache2-mpm-prefork, apache2-mpm-worker,
           apache2-mpm-perchild, apache2-mpm-event, apache2-common
Conflicts: apache2-mpm-worker, apache2-mpm-perchild, apache2-mpm-event,
           apache2-common
Conflicts: apache2-mpm-prefork, apache2-mpm-event, apache2-common

The apache API does not depend on the chosen MPM. So, almost
certainly you can build modules (including mod_perl) with one MPM and
use it with another.

Usually I build mod_perl against a httpd with worker MPM and TEST is
with both worker and prefork. So far I have never found something that
went bad only because of the other MPM.

Thanks for triggering William's and Philip's rectifications :-)

Michael Ludwig