Following up on this, I'm still stuck, but maybe someone here can help with a debugging step?

I'm trying to get httpd to dump cores, as we're seeing this a lot :

[Sun Jan 25 18:14:17 2009] [notice] child pid 20822 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)

and I figure a core might just help.  So, in httpd-perl's config :

CoreDumpDirectory /var/cores

and /var/cores is 777

And in the (RHEL/CentOS format) init.d script
start() {
        echo -n $"Starting $prog: "
        ulimit -S -c unlimited >/dev/null 2>&1
        LANG=$HTTPD_LANG daemon $httpd $OPTIONS -f $conf
        RETVAL=$?
        echo
        ulimit -c
        [ $RETVAL = 0 ] && touch ${lockfile}
        return $RETVAL
}

I think I got just about everything needed to get a coredump, but nothing shows up in /var/cores, despite many segfaults in the logs.

Anything I've missed?

Thankyou

Carl