I understand your point, and we'll strip the custom headers off before sending the response to the client. We are also looking at another way to dump the response (in the application's parent template class), which would help us avoid messing with Apache altogether.

From: "Mark Hedges" <hed...@scriptdolphin.org>
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2009 12:07 PM
To: "Solutio at Gmail" <solu...@gmail.com>
Cc: "André Warnier" <a...@ice-sa.com>; <modperl@perl.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Capturing Apache response

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009, Solutio at Gmail wrote:

First of all, I thank you both for your expert opinion on the topic. I have never had to fiddle with this sort of Apache customization, so I'm learning in
the process...

As for the way to communicate the file name to the filter, sure, we would like to keep it as simple as possible and avoid pitfalls. I agree that Perl is a
powerful tool that can easily screw many things up if applied carelessly.

I guess if we properly implement the custom header option, it shouldn't become
a problem. We'll give it a try.

To recap, you shouldn't use the custom header, you should
probably use $r->pnotes or maybe $c->pnotes to store the
information from the beginning to be accessed at the end.
This is what the pnotes tables are for.  Don't mess with the
headers.  Headers are for communicating with the client.

Mark