From: "Joe Schaefer" <joe_schae...@yahoo.com>
Comparative analysis of programming languages has nothing whatsoever to
do with modperl, or even anything to do with the real needs of this community
of users.  It's simply an exercise in argumentation based on personal
experience alone by people who have absolutely no knowledge of any actual
relevant statistics on the subject (assuming there even *are* any such things).

The original message that started this thread was:

"""
One of our customers is doing a detailed review of a mason/modperl ERP app we've built for them since 2001. Prodded by some buzzword-compliant consultants they are expressing concerns that the app's underlying technologies - perl, modperl and mason - are becoming obsolete. They feel that a web application framework must have 'rails' or some other buzzword in its name.
"""

Of course this question should be answered with language comparisons, and of course that those answers should be based on our opinions and experience, because if there would be very scientific studies that show which of the languages are modern and which are obsolete, which are good and which are bad, it could be very simple to find the sites with those scientific studies using Google and it wouldn't need to be asked on a mailing list.

Here is a good article written by Ovid - "Perl 5 is dying":

http://use.perl.org/~Ovid/journal/38010?from=rss

We should also remember that somebody discovered that perl 5 is dying 9 years ago, and this was the thing that created the idea of perl 6, that should be totally different.

Octavian