On Jul 22, 2009, at 12:05 AM, Adam Prime wrote:

 <Location /sandbox/semantic-web.cgi>
   SetHandler perl-script
   PerlHandler Apache2::Alex::SemanticWeb
 </Location>

What am I doing wrong? Does an actual file need to exist in order for
mod_perl to find it?

No.

I didn't think so, but what sort of configuration do I need to do so my
mod_perl packages get executed without the existence of a file?

You need to use Handlers. See this link for a really simple example of
a ResponseHandler, and how to configure it.

http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/intro/start_fast.html#Handler_Modules

By first changing my Location directive to the following:

 <Location /sandbox/semantic-web/>
   SetHandler perl-script
   PerlHandler Apache2::Alex::SemanticWeb
 </Location>

And then changing my RewriteRule to this:

RewriteRule ^/etexts/id/(.*) /sandbox/semantic-web/?id=$1 [passthrough]

I eliminate the need to have a file on my file system.

Thank you.  oss++ * mailing_lists++

--
Eric Lease Morgan