Justin, I cannot have a good suggestion how to find out what hogs the
memory.

However, I want to mention that with the use of a good reverse proxy server,
you will not need to have very many apache instances running, because the
proxy server would take care of the slow interaction with the client's
browser.

I use perlbal and I am happy, but there are other alternatives. During
evening, when I get 35 or so object requests per second, I rarely see more
than 1-2 instances of apache actually working at any given moment. At the
same time, my reverse proxy is talking to perhaps 10-50 clients, but apache
does not know.

Igor