On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 10:17 AM, Bill Moseley <mose...@hank.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 7:40 PM, David E. Wheeler <da...@kineticode.com>
> Is the history of the ping to catch connections that have been inactive for
> a long period and perhaps timed out?  I've thought about only issuing the
> ping if the $dbh hasn't been fetched in some amount of time (say a few
> minutes) to effectively disable the pings when the site is busy (which
> should be most of the time).

I've thought about this also, but I don't have any data to indicate
what that period should be.

I use the ping setting with every request.  If the database isn't
available, I want to know immediately, and I'm willing to foot the
overhead of an additional very simple query per each application query
I run.

I would submit as an additional consideration, that the times when the
site is busy are periods where you would want active pings.  The
database connections are likely to fail when the site is busy than
when it is idle, I would postulate.