Hi,

I'm in the process of upgrading an application to mod_perl2. The
application currently relies on chained content handlers. Each
PerlResponseHandler in the chain uses the following mechanism to get
(and then process) the requested file:

$r->filter_register;
my ($fh, $status) = $self->{'r'}->filter_input();

The call to ->filter_input takes care of whether to open the file from
disk or read it from the previous response handler in the chain, so that
each response handler in turn can make changes to the

Reading through the mod_perl2 docs, it's clear that the new
Apache2::Filter mechanism is far more powerful and flexible, but I'm not
currently in a position to re-engineer the application to change it from
a response handler to a PerlOutputFilterHandler.

In my imagined upgrade path there would be a way to replace the
->filter_input call with some calls to the new Apache2::Filter API to
slurp the data into the handler. Perhaps I'm missing something glaringly
obvious, or simply trying to bang a square peg in a round hole.

And pointers on this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Iain