FYI

Wanted to let you know I accidently stumbled on a something that worked,  I had
noticed that if I ran the mod_perl config twice, the second time it ran it
would not show that apr directory-not-found error, however the make would fail
with some APR related errors,  however,  if I added the "--with-included-apr"
option to the MP_AP_CONFIGURE option to the mod_perl config, then again ran the
command twice, the first time it would fail with the directory not found error
as before, the second time it ran through completely, *BUT* this time 'make'
ran without a problem and the rest of the process ran error free.  I then
checked with 'httpd -l' and mod_perl.c was listed in the built in module list.
I am trying to test the now running web service to see if everything functions.

Not quite sure what that all meant....but it seems I now have a static  linked
version