I'm still a little new at responding to mail lists. Here is an email that I
sent directly in a reply to Marco. I thought that it should be shared:

Marco,

I had to do the following just the other day:

sudo ln -sf /usr/lib/libperl.so.5.10.1 /usr/lib/libperl.so

That got me over the hurdle that occurred because of the missing symbolic link
to perl. I also had to do the following:

sudo ln -sf /usr/lib/libgdbm.so.3.0.0 /usr/lib/libgdbm.so

The libgdbm issue actually occurred prior to the perl problem.

I hope this helps. I am now trying to find the settings for mod_perl in the
/etc/apache2 configuration. My startup.pl file returns an error message that I
can't use 'use'.

Tom