If you are looking to run something on apache startup:

PerlRequire /path/to/startup.pl

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Kane [mailto:t.k...@mindspring.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 5:23 PM
To: modperl@perl.apache.org
Subject: Ubuntu and mod_perl

Thanks for all of the help. Just to let everyone know, it was embarrassing how
simple it was to install mod_perl with the suggestions that I received from
Cosimo Streppone earlier in the day. I didn't know that the apt-get and a2enmod
steps were available as the perl.apache2.org mod_perl 2 documentation said I
had to build both apache2 and mod_perl from the latest source from scratch.
(Admittedly, I may have read too many assumptions into that.)

I will say that the "apt-get install" on apache2 did nothing as everything was
already there on my system. The "apt-get install" on mod_perl did download a
fair amount, however. And, thankfully, when I restarted apache2 after the
a2enmod steps, I saw that mod_perl was indeed running.

Had I only known the above steps, I'd have saved several days on the build
process -- days that I would have much preferred applying to my application.

Now, I have another issue: I have created a startup.pl file and placed it into
the conf.d directory. However, when I restart apache2 I get an error message to
the effect that the first 'use' statement is a syntax error. I'm sure that my
problem lies in my confusion as to (1) where to point ServerRoot, and (2) where
I'm supposed to put my perl scripts. These are all pretty elementary, I
suppose, but if anyone can shed any light, I will be very appreciative.

Tom