I will see if I can get Perl 5.12 and an associated mod_perl up and
running on the problem machine and see if the CPU utilization goes
down.

Long long ago in a install far far away I did not run into this issue
on FC4 which has very similar packages other than apache (2.0 rather
than 2.2):
Requires: httpd >= 2.0.54-0; perl >= 5.8.6-0; perl-Digest-SHA1 >=
2.10-0; mod_perl >= 2.0.1-0;