Well, as what usually happens when you post to a mailing list and publicly ask for help, I figured it out. I am humiliated to admit that my problem was an apache configuration, so the DocRoot for the VirtualHost was resolving to the first VirtualHost's DocRoot instead of the proper VirtualHost's DocRoot. ::sigh::

This code:

my $document_root       = $r->document_root();

returns the proper docroot for the virtualhost as long as your apache settings are correct! A day wasted on something completely stupid!

Huge thanks to the folks that offered to help. Your support is deeply appreciated. =)

Warm regards,
Jordan Michaels