mike cardeiro wrote:
From: Dave Hodgkinson <daveh...@gmail.com>

What's MaxRequestsPerChild?

MaxRequestsPerChild 10000

...I think I may have figured out the problem. I think mod perl is running but my scripts are not using it. I added

<Directory "/home/secret34/public_html/cgi-bin">

    SetHandler perl-script
    PerlResponseHandler ModPerl::Registry
    Options +ExecCGI

 </Directory>

to httpd.conf now my scripts get the following error
slurp_filename('/home/secret34/public_html/cgi-bin/login.cgi') / opening: (13)
Permission denied at
/home/secret34/lib/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/ModPerl/RegistryCooker.pm line 541

progress. I assume this is happening because my script permissions are 700 under the user that owns
'/home/secret34/public_html/cgi-bin/'

guess I have more playing around to do.  I want the scripts to run as if run by
that user.

Cannot do that, unless you have Apache itself run as that user.
You should probably analyse your requirements carefully (as to exactly /why/ you want the script to run as that user). Then maybe you can solve that by making the Apache user and the other user member of the same group, and adapt your file permissions accordingly. The other solution I can think of, is to run a separate Apache instance under the user you want (and listening on a separate port).