On 10/3/2012 8:45 AM, Jason Aubrey wrote:
Hi All,

We have  modperl application running on 64bit (2 cores), freebsd 8.2,
perl 1.14.1, modperl 2.0.5, apache 2.2.21, 24GB of ram and about 5.5k
users. Additional system details are below.  Under heavy load we are
seeing errors of the form

    Failed to evaluate module Parser::Legacy: Attempt to reload
    Parser/Legacy.pm aborted.\nCompilation failed in require at (eval
    15635) line 1....

I vaguely suspect this is a concurrency issue.  Requests that generate
such errors often, but not always, call to GD.pm to build dynamically
generated images.  The errors often, but not always, refer to
Parser::Legacy a module which is part of our application, but I think
this is a red-herring since it only occurs under load, and I've seen
such errors refer to other modules, for example DateTime.

My server is the largest production freebsd machine running this
application; most servers of this size run Red Hat or Ubuntu and as far
as I can tell nobody has seen this error before.

I honestly have no idea if this is a modperl issue, an apache issue, a
freebsd issue, etc. But I thought I would start here since this is where
the rubber (requests) meet the road (perl).  Has anyone see such an
error before? Or know of a similar case that might give me some
additional clues?

Thanks very much,
Jason Aubrey

Are you including Apache2::Reload anyplace? I use it on my dev box and get messages like that quite often. I don't use it on my production box. To update production, I 'svn up; apache restart' sort of thing.

-Andy