Hi,

Can you explain what problem you're trying to solve? Apache processes don't
have the option of doing things when there is no request to serve, so you
can't easily have them disconnect. It may be possible with alarms or cron
jobs or something, but it's probably not a good idea.

If you tune your configuration to avoid leaving large numbers of servers
idle, you should not have problems with unused connections. Also, make sure
you are using a front-end proxy of some kind and not serving static HTTP
requests from your mod_perl server.

If your problem is that you need more active connections than your server
can handle, you could look at DBD::Gofer:
http://www.slideshare.net/Tim.Bunce/dbdgofer-200809

- Perrin