Yes, it's an HTTP proxy. It handles sending out the bytes to remote
clients, so that your mod_perl server doesn't have to. A popular
high-performance choice these days is nginx.

There's some discussion of why to use a front-end proxy here:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/strategy.html

- Perrin